The basic idea here is a little less of the bad stuff thanks to the oddly textured and very mild flavored squash. To cook the squash you crack it in half, scoop out the seeds and throw it in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes. The Kitchen has a fantastic picture perfect post on the topic.
I used mushrooms because they usually go great with bleu cheese. A word of caution here though… I added BBQ sauce to my chicken which caused a measurable amount of flavor discord in this dish. While not unpleasant it was not the most beautiful match. That said, it was a budget friendly, healthy and handy to just pop one out for each day at the office.
- One precooked spaghetti squash
- 1 baked or grilled chicken breast
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ cup of sauce (the original calls for hot sauce not BBQ sauce as I used unfortunately!)
- 2 tbsp. chopped scallions
- ¼ cup bleu cheese
- ½ cup chopped flat leave parsley
- 1 package of mushrooms
- Cook the squash and chicken then set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan and add the onions.
- Cook until translucent (caramelizing these and adding lemon zest to the end product … less the BBQ treatment and mushrooms may be a better way to make this dish).
- Add in the mushrooms and cook until they release their water (about 13 to 15 minutes or so).
- Add in the bleu cheese, scallions and chopped parsley.
- Mix in the chicken and squash.