This recipe comes from the Neiman Marcus Cookbook by Kevin Garvin which we used heavily for our family Christmas dinner in 2014. The main difference is the complete absence of cheese… which makes for a more creamy potato centric dish.
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 tsp. grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Butter a 5 by 7 inch casserole dish and rub with garlic.
- Place sliced potatoes in a large saucepan filled with cold water: drain the potatoes and arrange a layer on the bottom of the prepared casserole.
- Add a second layer on top and season with a dash of nutmeg and a little salt and pepper.
- Continue layering the potatoes in the same fashion.
- Place the half and half and cream into a sauce and bring to a boil.
- Pour this mixture over the potatoes then transfer the casserole to the oven.
- Bake the potatoes for about 35 minutes, or until they have absorbed most of the cream and start to brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes to let the potatoes set up before serving.