So I bought a copy of “Eat Green Get Lean” by Michael Matthews in my continuing attempt to add more vegetarian fare into the rotation while trying to lose 15 pounds. His Pumpkin Protein Bar recipe fit the need.
I was looking for a healthier mid-morning snack to replace the wonderful potato knish from Katzinger’s at the North Market. These were a good first attempt. The next time I make them I will probably add some dates into the mix to give it a bit more moisture and chewy flavor. They freeze & reheat well.
In short, a pretty good snack.
- 1 (15 ounce) can Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisin bran cereal
- 6 scoops vanilla whey protein powder
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup spelt flour (or substitute of your choice)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a food processor or blender add all the ingredients except the oats and flour. Blend until smooth, then pour in dry ingredients and pulse until just combined.
- Lightly coat a 9 x 13 inch baking dish in cooking spray and spread the mixture out evenly.
- Place in oven and bake for 15 – 18 minutes, or until set. Remove and cut into 10 bars.