I have two weak spots during a given work day diet wise. The fantastic coffee shop, Cafe Brioso, on the morning walk into the office with it’s delicious jalapeño scones and, of course, dinner. In an effort to take on one challenge at a time, I have been focusing on the scone. I tried the maple pumpkin protein bars from Michael Matthews book “Eat Green Get Lean.” These were decent but not the fluffy pumpkin bar with cream cheese frosting mom made when we were kids.
While casually surfing the net this morning I came across a recipe for pomegranate oatmeal snack cups. Using what I had on hand and crossing it back through Mr Matthew’s recipe for the spelt flour and whey powder I came up with the following outcome.
I’m still looking for more of a fluffy cupcake structure but these turned out pretty good. Should be easy to pack in the morning and a reminder to not buy the delicious scone. At least not every morning.
- 1 small banana
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup tart cherry juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (info – ok in moderation)
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup whey powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup raisins
- First, preheat oven to 350ºF and spray a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Then, place banana in a medium size bowl and mash until smooth. Add the eggs, cherry juice, vanilla extract, and coconut milk. Whisk until combined.
- Add the oatmeal, baking powder, whey powder, raisins and mix until smooth.
- Fill muffin tin about 1/3 to 1/2 way full.
- Bake at 350ºF for about 20 minutes.