Sunday breakfast without pancakes. It’s a good way to blow through a ton of spinach and still feel like you’ve enjoyed the experience.
Original recipe adjusted slightly.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 4 slices prosciutto cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ½ to 3 lbs. spinach coarse stems discarded and leaves coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- Special equipment: 4 (8-ounce) buttered ramekins
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Cook onion in butter in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook, covered, stirring 2 or 3 times, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove lid and cook, stirring, until excess liquid is evaporated, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add cream, prosciutto, salt, and pepper and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Arrange buttered ramekins in a shallow baking pan and divide spinach among them.
- Make an indentation in center of each and carefully crack an egg into each indentation.
- Bake in middle of oven until whites are just set, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve eggs in ramekins with rye toast or English muffins.