One of my colleagues back in Texas overheard me cursing at my oatmeal one morning. I’ve always had a less than perfect relationship with its bland, wet and lumpy self. No matter how much raisins, maple syrup, pecans I threw at it … it was still … oatmeal. It’s only saving grace is that it’s incredibly cheap and a really healthy addition to one’s diet.
So I finally thought about it for a while and decided, maybe, it simply needs to grow up a little. After a little morning Yoga, I threw some very grown up elements at it and damn if it didn’t taste really good! Finally, an oatmeal I can enjoy without a coworker thinking I’m crazy to one hate the stuff or two that I’m crazy for talking to a bowl of oatmeal. (The crazy part may actually be true I’m afraid.)
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 cup lightly steamed spinach (30 to 50 seconds)
- 3 crushed cloves of garlic then chopped after 5 minutes
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 healthy shot of Sriracha
- 1 egg
- Boil the water for both the egg and the oats
- Mix turmeric into oats and then stir into boiling water reducing heat to a simmer
- Steam spinach over poaching pan then remove and drain a little (I used the same colander for this)
- Poach the egg for 5 minutes in the cheater silicone pod
- Add garlic and Sriracha to oats.
- Move oats to a bowl and top with poached egg.
- Have and head out to the office.